The project of creating ELPENs Experimental Research Center was launched in the autumn of 1995 and was carried out in 1996.
Ever the avid proponent of research, ELPENs Chairman Dimitrios Pentafragas had been assisting with conducting and completing research theses since the 1970s – so much as becoming personally involved in projects. In the 1980s once again he facilitated pilot-educational experiments on the use of endoscopic instruments in laparoscopic surgery. This marked the beginning of endoscopic surgery in Greece.
An entirely Greek-owned company, ELPEN ranks among the 10 largest industrial companies in Greece. In 1996, to give something back to the medical and pharmaceutical communities, as well as the Greek people, ELPEN began to invest consistently in Research & Development.
ELPENs success has been the product of hard work. There are no miracles; only faith that one day hard work will turn into tangible result – that is the true miracle. Today the overwhelming majority of the scientific world identifies ELPEN with its contribution to research and training. It is in the essence of this contribution that has lain ELPENs motivation and purpose – and there it shall remain.
Research Means Life
Our strong drive to excel in research and development as well as make a crucial contribution to the education and smooth integration of young scientists led us to create the most significant – and the only privately owned – Experimental and Applied Biomedical Research laboratory in Greece. ELPEN’s Experimental Research & Training Center is the most important privately owned center for education and translational research in the Balkans, and among the ten most important in its category in Europe. It is also the first and only Greek laboratory, and among the first in Europe, to obtain the UEMS/NASCE certification.
For over 21 years, ELPEN has encouraged Greek physicians and biomedical scientists (including physicians working in public and university hospitals, academics from faculties of pharmacy, biology, veterinary medicine, chemistry, nutrition, technical universities, etc.) to peruse the facilities of the Experimental Research & Training Center in their effort to advance their research.
The Center plays an active part (in terms of both scientific method and infrastructure) in the scientific projects carried out within its walls, therefore ELPEN retains the right to utilize potential research results before any other participating party. The Center also conducts research based on internally sourced ideas.
ELPEN’s Experimental Research & Training Center in numbers:
- More than 900 local and international educational seminars followed by internships
- 350 research protocols, many of which are PhD dissertations or Master’s theses in cardiology, general surgery, pharmacology, gastroenterology, intensive care medicine, orthopedics, infection medicine, etc.
- 130 ELPEN grants
- More than 300 papers published in Greek and international scientific journals
- More than 200 awards from scientific bodies in Greece and abroad honoring the Center’s services and quality of work
- 1,000 sq.m. facilities comprising fully equipped experimental translational research laboratories, including hemodynamic, microsurgery and experimental physiology laboratories
- Two (2) congress rooms with a capacity of 80 and 20 people, respectively, where congresses and meetings can be held using all the available audiovisual equipment
- Partnerships with Greek university clinics and laboratories, as well as Greek NHS-operated or privately owned clinics and laboratories. Partnerships with clinics and laboratories abroad are also available through our programme of grants. Preclinical (in vivo) testing of ELPEN’s proprietary molecules.
- Training Greek physicians and other scientists in cutting-edge techniques and skills relevant to their specializations. Training sessions take place throughout the year, in partnership with established Greek and foreign universities, scientific associations and other relevant bodies.
- Organizing congresses, meetings and visits with a strong educational and informative focus.